Monday, January 31, 2011

Miami Shore

Remember when Miami was the booty music capital of the world? In the ninth grade, my fellow ballerinas and I would practice our fouetées in the studio and our hydraulics at Catholic school dances. Hey, both are good workouts. Not until college did I realize that the rest of the nation had no idea who Uncle Al was. Love it or hate it, this Miami bass music, as it was technically called, gave the city some distinctive flavor in the 90s.

Those days are long gone, and club culture now seems to be all about techno and trance. I'll bet those Jersey Shore kids felt right at home here. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer my dance music to be something I can ... well ... dance to. Yes, there's a lot of hopping about and fist pumping in techno, but I'm not inspired to actually move my hips.

I spent plenty of time on YouTube today trying to familiarize myself a bit with electronic music for this post. When I found a 10-minute video entitled Best Melodic Trance Songs, I thought, "let me give this a chance"; five minutes of the way through I wondered why Cheney never used melodic trance in place of waterboarding. Am I missing something?

I'd be interested to hear from an avid fan of electronic music on the subject. What about it is so appealing to so many people? I'm not trying to be facetious here. I'd really like to know.  

In the meantime, I'll be here, getting down to the 1996 Miami classic, Morena.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! I'm glad it came back in the form of a remix, but I still love the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I work with Under the Sun, a weekly radio program on WLRN, that focuses on unique stories from South Florida. We'd love to email you an invite to an upcoming event that we think you'd be interested in, given the content of your blog. I couldn't find an email address on this site, though - If you're interested, can you reply or email me at lori[at]wlrnunderthesun.org so that we can provide you more details? Thanks!

    Have a great week and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete